Friday, February 26, 2010

Old Pictures Revisted



I have spent the last couple of days looking for a digital photograph I took several years ago. Most of my images are on my external hard drive but some are on cd's that I used for backup. It has been fun traveling back in time.

Here are two images of Mt Shasta. The first one I took while driving North on I-5. It was a beautiful day and I could see the mountain way off in the distance. I knew just where I was going to stop to get a picture. There is a viewpoint just South of Dunsmuir. As the miles rolls by I looked forward the stopping and snapping the picture. I had never seen the mountain so white. It must have been covered with a fresh blanket of snow.


Finally I arrived at the view point, only to experience a big disappointment. A band of low clouds blocked the view of the mountain. After a short rest stop I continued on up I-5. The mountain remained blocked from view. After a meal stop in Yreka I continued North. Just North of Yreka the interstate crests a low ridge before dropping down to a bridge over the Shasta River. Looking back over I shoulder I could see the mountain. I quickly pulled off the road and took this picture.


On a later trip South I arrived in Weed, at the base the mountain just before sunset on a clear night. I stopped where I could get a good shot of the mountain and took another picture. The mountain was glowing pink and there was a full moon. However, it was not hanging over the mountain. This is one of the very few pictures that I have used a editing program to enhance. A little clipping and pasting moved the moon to where I wanted it.
I know, I doubt Ansel Adams would have approved. It was a chance shot, with the mountain bathed in the pink light of a setting sun. This was a once in a lifetime shot.
Mt Shasta is part of the Pacific ring of fire and like Mt Saint Helens, she will come back to life. The appearance of the mountain will be changed forever.



No comments: