Friday, March 19, 2010

Good Bye Davy, Daniel and Fess

I have spoken to several dozen groups as a life coach. One of my favorite topics is eliminating "missed opportunities" For me that was passing up a chance to met Ansel Adams or not visiting Spirit Lake at the base of Mt Saint Helens. Ansel Adams died before I had another opportunity to visit him in Carmel, California. Spirit Lake disappeared under 300 feet of rock and dirt when the mountain erupted on May 18, 1980.

This morning I woke realizing that I had missed the chance to met a childhood idol. For nearly 10 years I lived within a hour of the Fess Parker Winery in Santa Ynez, California. I drove past the winery countless times, always thinking that I would stop sometime in the future.

Yesterday, March 18, 2010, Fess Parker passed away at the age of 85. The King of the Wild Frontier is gone but he will continue to live in our hearts.

I was one of millions of youngsters who embraced the 6-foot, 6 inch Parker. He was the man in the coonskin cap who stood for the spirit of the American Frontier. Like other Boomers gripped by the Crockett craze, I had my cap. I have often wondered how many rabbits died to met the demand. I found an article this morning that reported that at one point 5,000 coonskin caps were sold a day. The price of furs when from 25 cents a point to $8.00 a pound.

Thank you Fess Parker for bringing Davy Crockett, Daniel Boone and the wild frontier to life for us.

No comments: