Friday, February 23, 2007

Artist Dates


Thanks to a chance encounter with a book, The Right To Write, written by Julia Cameron I can publicly admit that I’m a writer. According to Julia “we should write because it is human nature to write.”

While reading The Right To Write, I learned about Morning Pages, Weekly Walks and Artist Dates. Morning Pages and Weekly Walks have become part of my daily life. The last tool I have adopted is the artist date. Julia says the artist date is to nurture the creativity that is within each of us. I am getting into the habit of taking a weekly solo expedition to do something that is just plain fun.

Last week I went to a furniture store to look for ideas. I will be moving within the next couple of months and will need to outfit an apartment. I was looking for ideas. Yesterday it was a visit to Troutdale, Oregon, and a visit to the many shops in the downtown area, including the gift shops and the antique shops.

Now it’s becoming fun to plan my future dates. Sometimes it’ a visit to a museum, sometimes a special store. On other dates I have gone to parks. One of my favorites is a visit to Oneonta Gorge and Falls in the Columbia River Gorge. The best time to visit is a summer weekday at around noon. Getting to the falls requires wading up Oneonta Creek. I enjoy looking at the awesome power of mother nature.

Try having an artist date. If you don’t think of yourself as an artist, call it something else, just get out and experience new things. Explore your community.
It’s Friday and I’m off to the Portland Garden Show.

No comments: