Thursday, March 15, 2007

A Second Life

Five years ago I started publishing a weekly E-Letter. In my first issue I talked about the second life that each of us will have the opportunity to experience. My friend, and subscriber, Dave immediately emailed back and said, “A second life after 50? I think I'm on my third right now.”

Dave is right; he is in his third age.

Alan Pifer, former chairman of the Carnegie Corporation Project on an Aging Society, has suggested that our increasing longevity gives us a new third quarter in our life span. He says this “should constitute a period of rebirth, with the awakening of new interests and enthusiasm for life, and few possibilities for being productive.”

The challenge that we face is how can we make our additional years better for ourselves and better for our society.

William A. Sadler, author of The Third Age, uses sigmoid curve (a S laying on it’s side and stretched out). According to Dr. Sadler there is a brief dip in the learning curve during early adaptation to life. Then we progress upward towards a peak near the middle of life, where we reach a plateau. From there it is a gradual descent. This is the old, conventional view of life.

The poet T. S. Eliot, at age seventy expressed a conventional view of the second half of life in very unconventional and blunt terms: “I don’t believe one grows older. I think that what happens early on in life is that at a certain age one stands still and stagnates.”

What has really changed is our lengthening life span. In eighteenth-century American, the average life span was barely forty. From 1900 to 1993 the average American life expectancy went from 47.3 yeas to 75.5 years. As we enter the twenty-first century, the average American life span is nearly eighty.

Many of us are getting a thirty year bonus. I’m going to live mine to the fullest. Dr. Walter Bortz of Palo Alto, California, has specialized in vital aging, says that we should plan on living one hundred years or more. Between 1960 and 1996 the number of centenarians in America increased from 3,000 to over 55,000. He feels that millions will pass this milestone in this century. There will be too many of us to be mentioned on the Today Show. Willard will have to up the age to 110 or 115.

According to Dr. Sadler, “Getting older has commonly been associated with five deadly D words: decline, disease, dependency, depression and decrepitude (feebleness). After these, of course comes the sixth dreaded D word, which marks the end of the line.”

Ever since that first E-Letter I have focused on the R words, such as rebirth, renewal, regeneration, revitalization and rejuvenation. It has also lead into a new career field and looking at new dreams and goals. I’m enjoying my second life.

I welcome and encourage feedback. I want to hear your stories. It also lets me know I anyone is reading this.

No comments: