Sunday, August 10, 2008

Summer of loss


Like many people I have experienced weight gain over time. Yes, I was once skinny. I can barely remember it, but I do have the pictures to remind me.


Since 2000 I have been writing a goal “to reach my ideal weight in a healthy way by December 31, 2000. Then every January 1st I would change the year.

This year started the same way, with me weighing a record high of 267. That’s a hundred pounds heavier than I was in the above picture.
I spent time upgrading my goals, knowing that there would be no change. I would plan to lose a pound a week and in the first 18 weeks I had managed to lose 7 pounds.

All during this time I had been watching Melissa at the weekly Sandy Chamber of Commerce meetings. She was promoting a weight management program. Then another friend announced he had gone from a size 44 to a size 36 pants in a very short period. That got my attention.

About the same time an associate at work left me a note on my computer that included a drawing of me that was very unflattering. I also hated to see myself in mirrors. The drawing was right; I was fat, obese according to the Body Mass Index.

A phone call to Melissa started me on a new adventure. On May 9th I started using the program. On Sunday, August 10th, 14 weeks later I had lost 60 pounds, two thirds of the way to my ideal body weight of 170.

The real challenge is still ahead of me. 85% of people who diet will end up regaining their weight. Eating right and exercising are not temporary conditions to be dumped when I reach my ideal body weight. They are lifestyle choices, and ones to be made for a lifetime.
Stay turned for further updates.

No comments: