Saturday, January 03, 2009

Culinary Artist Date: The Blue Sage Cafe, West Linn


After seven months of a very structure meal replacement plan I was able to enjoy a Blue Sage Burger and fries (sweet potato). Oh what a treat for my first culinary artist date.

“Much of us dread dieting, associating it with hardship and deprivation. But what if healthful eating was actually fun.” That is how Julia Cameron introduces The Fifth Tool of The Writing Diet. She proposes taking a “festive, creative culinary outing once a week.” She goes on to say that theses culinary artist dates are “a serious tools for self-discovery.”

Between May and October I managed to reduce my weight by 31% and have been able to keep it off since then. My meal plan now allows me to enjoy the weekly culinary dates.

Where to go for my first one? I left home at noon with the intention of exploring the shopping area of West Linn, right across the Willamette River from Gladstone. I had been there once before but had not taken the time to explore the shops.

I quickly found the Blue Sage Café (http://www.bluesagecafe.com/) in West Linn’s Central Village. There are two restaurants. The other is in nearby Lake Owego. The founders of the Old Spaghetti Factory Restaurants own them. The atmosphere is “elegant ranch style” and the American cuisine has a Southwest flair. Rhonda, my server had me feel right a home.

Hamburgers have not been a part of my life since May, and while the menu has many great choices, I went for the Blue Sage Burger and sweet potato fries (pictured above). The burger was very good, as was the service. All in all I had a very successful first culinary artist date. I highly recommend the Blue Sage Café. They are open for lunch and dinner seven days a week and for breakfast on the weekends.

No comments: