Saturday, January 27, 2007

Red Dirt and T-Shirts


You own a t-shirt company on the island of Kauai when flooding from hurricane Iniki damages your inventory. Now you’re on the verge of financial ruin. What to you do? Some people would give up and move on.

Paradise Sportswear looked at the pile of white t-shirts now stained with the red volcanic dirt of Kauai and saw their future. Kauai’s Hanapepe Valley is the source of their natural dye; the rich red dirt used to create their now famous Red Dirt shirts. I loved the picture of the row of washing machines covered with the red dirt. Their brand is known around the world as Original Red Dirt Shirts.


I discovered Paradise Sportswear during a cruise around the Hawaiian Islands and picked up a t-shirt and a flyer. The t-shirt is one of my favorites and the flyer has been sitting on my desk for a year. Today I decided to write about a great American success story and a little Hawaiian red dirt.

No comments: