Thursday, January 18, 2007

Requel, Oh No!


Raquel Welch was on Today this morning. She was talking about how the 60’s of today. My mind was not on the interview. I was remembering Raquel at an earlier time. It was Christmas 1967. I was serving onboard a hospital ship, USS Sanctuary (AH-17), supporting Marine operations in Northern South Vietnam.

Raquel was traveling with Bob Hope. Bob, Requel and a large contingent of photographers flew out to the ship to visit the patients. We were all excited. I remember standing between two Navy nurses and making a comment about getting to see a real American woman again. I survived but the nurses started saying they couldn’t wait to see Bob, a “real American man.”

I was the senior ward Corpsman or two sixteen bed Urology wards. The wards had upper and lower bunks and Requel was trapped in the back corner by the photographers. It was exciting for all of us.

That was 39 years ago. Seeing Requel on the Today Show brought back a lot of memories. To me she has not changed at all. She is still one very beautiful woman. I’m glad I had the chance to met Bob and Requel.

No comments: