Thursday, February 03, 2005

What I Want to Write About


I believe that all of us are writers. Some of us are welling and able to come out of the closet and let the world know what is deep within our hearts.

I have been trying to explain why and what I want to write about. Kim Pearson http://www.primary-sources.com/ says it much better than I have been able too.

Her mission is to help people tell and preserve their unique and valuable stories. She publishes a free seasonal newsletter, filled with stories and poems, writing and remembering tips & tricks, upcoming events, and more. It is always informative and entertaining! You can subscribe at her website.

What I Want to Write About
Here is a piece I wrote during a "Write to Remember" class, about the reasons I do what I do:
I want to write about my real life and how it feels to be lonely some mornings and at the same time glad to be alone. I want to write about the giddiness that I feel when I see that the truth is not the truth, and that lies are sometimes the only honest way to go.
I want to write about the time my father threw a glass milk bottle at my mother, and how the bottle didn't hit her or even break; instead it swooped down one side of the porcelain sink and then up and out the other side, landing with a perfect tring right at Dad's feet. I want to write about how their laughter echoed off the walls like the pieces of broken glass that should have been there but weren't.
I want to write about the foregiveness that lives in the sweet secret river under the reeds of guilt and the mud of shame. I want to write about those stagnant emotional ponds full of fat tadpoles and biting bugs.
I want to write about the longing that fills my head and my hands that itch with fury. I want to write about how our stories merge together, and how our stories fall apart. I want to write about how the stories of my life are the stories of yours.
I want to write about the smell of new-cut grass and the taste of a mealy potato running with butter. I want to write about the moonlight hiding everything but the shadows. I want to show you how the shadows may speak to you if you listen with your heart as well as your ears.
copyright 2004 Kim Pearson http://www.primary-sources.com/ Reprinted with permission.

Why do you want to write? Share with us. Click on “Comments” below and then on “Post a Comment”.

No comments: