Tuesday, January 11, 2005

La Conchita

My thoughts keep going back to the little California coastal community of La Conchita. The village of 200 is located between Santa Barbara and Ventura, sitting between US101 and the mountains behind it. When I lived in San Luis Obispo I drove past it numerous times, going to and from Los Angeles.

So far three residents have died and another 20 or so are missing in a massive mudslide. The same thing happened in the late 1990’s. I was on my way to a business meeting in Los Angeles and was delayed by a mudslide that destroyed the row of houses at the base of the mountain. The banana plantation at the west end of the village was also wiped out at that time.

Will the people of La Conchita be able to survive this latest mudslide or will this be the end of another small community? I’m sure if Ventura County and the State of California have their way, a historical marker will be all that is left of the village.

The deaths in La Conchita may seem insignificant when compared to the great loss of life caused by the tsunami in the Indian Ocean. I have only seen pictures from there. La Conchita has been a part of my life, if only seen from a passing automobile.

No comments: