Monday, January 24, 2005

Thoughts of Spring

I know, it’s only the 24th of January, but my thoughts turned to spring this past week. We have had some unusually warm weather, hints of what is to come.

I love Oregon in the Spring (and in the summer, fall and winter too). It’s a time to get out and hit the back road. I-5 and I-84 is great for making fast time. If you want to enjoy the scenery you have to take the byways. For example, I live near the mouth of the Columbia Gorge, one of the most beautiful areas of the state. I-84 transverses the gorge and you can drive from my home in Gresham to The Dalles, at the other end of the gorge in less than 90 minutes. Most people make the trip in less time.

To see the real beautify of the gorge you need to take the Old Columbia River Highway out of Troutdale. An alternative is to take Route up the Washington side. Either route will make you slow down and enjoy all that the gorge has to offer. Even then you will miss much. There are places your car cannot take you. You can see a glance of Multnomah Falls from your car on I-84. On the Old Columbia River Highway you can pause in front of the fall and take a picture without getting out of the car. Or, you can park and walk the short distance to the observation area.

A little further east there is another falls. Most people drive right by. A few will stop and climb down to Oneonta Creek and walk up its bank to the logjam. Some will stop at the base of the large, tangled pile of logs and then turn back to their cars. A few will climb carefully to the top of the pile and look into the gorge. Then they will turn back to their cars and wonder what the attraction was.

A few will climb over the jam and wade up Oneonta Creek. It is impossible to make the journey without getting wet. The walls of the gorge preclude climbing. In the summer months the water isn’t deep. I’m 5”ll” and the water has never been deeper than my waist. The walk is level and after a couple of bends you can see Oneonta Falls.

It’s not a spectacular as Multnomah Falls. It’s the adventure of getting there that makes its exciting. Thousands of people will stop at Multnomah Falls. Only a few hundred will make the short trip up Oneonta Gorge to see and take pictures of Oneonta Falls. Sent me an email if you’d like to see pictures of the fall. Send me an email (or make a comment on this page).

There are hundreds of such spots scattered along the back roads of Oregon.

How did I find out about Oneonta Falls? I read an article in the local paper on a Thursday. I went Friday morning and there were a dozen people in the gorge. I went back on Sunday with my niece and we couldn’t find a place to park. That’s why we keep our favorite spots a secret.

No comments: